Y’know, I’d never had ‘real’ buffalo wings before I went vegan, so I was a little hesitant about making these, but I actually enjoyed them. Also, my best friend (not vegan) says this is ‘amazing’. She loves seitan though, so she might be a bit biased.
If the buffalo sauce isn’t spicy enough for you, you can always add more hot sauce. Or, if it’s too spicy, add more ketchup. I’m just a wimp when it comes to spicy things so this is spicy for me.
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
2 Egg Replacers
A Splash of Silk
- 3Tbsp Franks Red Hot Sauce
- 3Tbsp Ketchup
- Add the flour and spices to a bowl, mix together until combined.
- Mix up the Egg Replacer in a separate bowl and add a splash of milk to make it more liquid-y (I use the Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer so using the milk helps make the consistency more liquid-y)
- Take the seitan wings and coat first in egg and then in the flour. Do this until all wings are coated.
- Get a pan and heat some oil (I used just enough to cover the bottom) to high. Once oil is ready add the seitan a few at a time. Cook both sides for 30 seconds*, then take out and let drain/pat excess oil off with a paper towel.
- For the sauce: heat up a pot on the stove (medium heat) then add the ketchup and hot sauce, stirring constantly. Once mixture begins to bubble/thicken, remove from heat.
- Toss the wings in the sauce and serve.
Note: The seitan recipe I use makes about 30-34 wings – I split the batch and only buffalo-ed half of it. The other half I put in a ziplock bag and put in the deep freeze. (It lasts up to a year)
*Every time I go to fry something, the oil is always super hot. I’m not sure if it’s because of the pan or that we just have a powerful burner, but even recipes that it says to leave in for 5 minutes to get it ‘golden brown’, if I leave it in that long they always get super burned. So, adjust the cooking time for your burner/stove.
So, what do you guys think? Like it? Hate it? Should be thrown into a pit and never made again? Let me know in the comments!
Check out more recipes here: Recipes All of the recipes are vegan. If you haven’t seen The Veg Life home page, then you might not know – all recipes on my site are proudly animal product free. (Yes, including the beauty products) All pictures of the food/product are taken by me and are sometimes pulled off my Instagram account.