A vegan Sloppy Joe recipe?! You bet.
This being the first Sloppy Joe I’ve had, I think it tasted pretty good. I mean, the sauce I found I’m pretty sure is what makes it, so unless you’re going to try making the sauce from scratch, I wouldn’t worry about getting it to taste exactly the same. Also, I felt like the sandwich needed something on the side to go with it, so I made some gnocchi too. And, I have to say, the gnocchi goes really well with the sauce.
1 package of Ground Round (I used Yves Italian Veggie*)
1 kaiser bun
1 package of White Mushrooms
¼ of an Onion
1 can of Hunt’s Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce
1 package of Gnocchi (I used Italgusto Gnocchi Di Patate)
- Dice the onion, and cube the mushrooms.
- Throw the onions, mushrooms and ground round (I used half the pack) into a pan and cook it on medium-high, until the onions get translucent.
- Open the can of sauce and dump half of it in (if only using half the pack of ground round). Mix so the ground round gets coated evenly.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil and throw the Gnocchi in. As soon as they float to the top, drain. Pour some of the remaining sauce on top of the gnocchi and mix. Once coated, add to the side of the plate and top with a little bit of oregano.
- Cut the kaiser in half and place in the oven to toast for about 2min.
- Once the kaiser is toasted, take the ground round mixture off the heat and place in the bun.
*I bought the Italian one because that was all that they had. That’s also why I didn’t spice the ground round mixture. If you buy the Original/Plain one, I usually spice it with: Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Oregano and Basil.
So… vegan Sloppy Joe – did you love it? Hate it? Have any questions? Feel free to leave me a comment below to let me know what you think!
Check out more recipes here!
Liking the site? Consider signing up for my Patreon, so I can continue bringing you the content you love!