I’ve wanted to do these Store Crawls for a while, but there was always something more important/immediate that had to get done.
I’ve finally decided to stop putting it off, so welcome to the first Store Crawl!
Store Crawls are going to be articles where I take you through/list all the vegan offerings available at a non-vegan grocery store (No Frills, Loblaws, Metro, Sobeys, etc.), in the hopes it helps you out should you need to buy something. Now, since these aren’t vegan-centric grocers, I’ll only be listing the premade stuff, that’s available more in a grab and go style, like the deli meats, cheeses, etc. Hopefully, this will help you should you ever find yourself away from your preferred grocery store so you aren’t scrambling for something, also this may help you with your day-to-day shopping.
Okay, so, without further ado, here’s the first Store Crawl:
I know Zehr’s is not in Toronto (I’ve yet to find one, anyway), so if you live outside of Toronto (say, New Market, or Barrie), this might be of more help to you. I’ll be posting other Store Crawls for stores that are actually in the city soon, so keep your eye out!
I’m starting with Zehr’s because I was just there this past weekend and figured, why not start with the one that’s fresh in my mind?
Here’s what I found:
Apparently, Zehr’s is owned by Loblaws, so they have a lot of vegan options, thankfully. They pretty much had all this stuff in one aisle, (I believe it was labelled the ‘Natural Foods’ aisle) which was super convenient for me, I didn’t have to run around the entire store!
Deli Section: (Next to the meat counter)
- Yves Lunch Meats (Turk’y, Ham, Bologne, and pepperoni)
- Yves Not-dogs
- Daiya Shreds (Mozzerella and Cheddar, no slices or blocks)
Natural Foods Aisle
- Silk (I didn’t see Silk Almond, just the Soy, also didn’t see the Chocolate one, just Plain and Vanilla)
- Earth Balance Butter
- Daiya Yogurt
- Daiya Pizza
- Gardein Nuggets (7 Grain Crispy Tenders, Mandarin Orange Chick’N nuggets and the Fishless Filets)
- Hilary’s Burgers (green box [which I believe is their original?], and I think there was a purple box [Spicy Thai] too)
- Sol Burgers (Quinoa)
- Nature’s Path Organic Buckwheat Blueberry Waffles (Gluten Free!)
- Amy’s Kitchen Black Bean Vegetable Burrito (the green and blue wrapper one)
- So Good Ice-cream (chocolate)
- Almond Breeze
- Rice Dream
- Coconut Oil
- Amy’s Kitchen Cans (Organic Alphabet Soup [my favourite!], Organic Lentil, Vegetable Soup, Organic Fire Roasted Southwestern Vegetable soup, and they had a black can, I’m not too sure which kind that one was)
- Daiya Mac (Deluxe Cheddar and Deluxe Alfredo – they were $4.49!)
- Nuts To You Organic Tahini Paste (and almond and other nut butters)
- Skinny Pop White Cheddar Popcorn
- Veggie Sticks
- Love Beauty and Planet Shampoo (never seen/heard of this brand before, I bought a bottle, keep an eye out for the review!)
And there you have it! Most, if not all the vegan finds available at Zehr’s.
I did my best to keep all the proper brand names/flavours, as I felt it’d be more comprehensive to list the ‘official’ flavours, instead of just listing (as example) ‘Gardein nuggets’. I’m sure some of you would still understand what I meant if I did it in short-hand, but I thought it might just make it easier, especially if you’re wanting to find a certain product for the first time, or requesting it.
I hope you found this list helpful, and I look forward to doing more of them in the future.
Like this article? Check out more vegan related posts on my The Veg Life page!
Liking the site? Consider signing up for my Patreon, so I can continue bringing you the content you love!